Thursday, October 7, 2010

October's Birthstone...Tourmaline Dream....Finally!

Those of you who know me, know my love for the tourmaline palette. Give me a grade AAA strand of tourmaline and I'm a very happy camper. October is finally here and I can ramble on about my fave semi-precious gemstone.

The most common color of tourmaline is a dark green, but it also comes in bright green, blue, red, pink, orange, yellow, clear, brown, violet and black. Tourmaline also comes in mixed colors within one stone, which can consist of many different varieties of colour. Scientifically, tourmaline is not a single mineral, but a group of minerals related in physical and chemical properties. Tourmaline exhibits the interesting electrical properties of pyroelectricity and piezoelectricity. When heated or rubbed, it attracts dust and dirt particles.

Tourmaline helps increase flexibility, objectivity, compassion, happiness and serenity. It is a stone that is very helpful for channeling and enhances tolerance and understanding. Tourmaline is also known to be a very protecting stone.

No comments: